Sunday, January 30, 2011

Weekend Recipe : The Shake

I never let Rees drink just a cup of milk (Well, sometimes I go soft, like during morning sickness.  Or the flu.).  Why have just milk when you can add hundreds of nutritious fat and protein calories easily?  So the beginning mixture is this :

1 C MILK
1 EGG
1 SCOOP VANILLA ICE CREAM

Then comes the creative part.  Right now, he's into the coffee/caramel taste, which means I do this :

2 T BUTTER
2 T BROWN SUGAR
1/4 t INSTANT  DECAF

MICROWAVE THESE UNTIL THE BUTTER MELTS AND STIR WELL.  ADD TO ABOVE SHAKE.

Sometimes he likes some Nesquik added to make it like a mocha.
Sometimes we don't do the caramel and toss in a candy bar or overbaked cookies (Ahem).

Also, a plug here for the Vitamix, an expensive piece of kitchen ware that I use several times a day.  Yes, a day.  With this thing, I can also do frozen fruit instead of ice cream and sneak in some nuts, pieces of spinach or carrot, and even a small tomato, making it an antioxident stew.  This does not have as many fat grams, but is so full of other good things, it's hard to ignore.

When I'm on top of my game, I'll triple the shake and stick the container in the fridge to ensure he drinks the good stuff all day.  And yes, I know that he's sixteen and shouldn't he be making his own shakes and don't baby him and he'll never know how to do things on his own and enough already.  He does plenty.  I don't mind and he says thank you so we're fine.  Every family finds their own groove!

Happy weekend and get shakin'!

Warmly,
Allison

No comments:

Post a Comment