Monday, July 22, 2013

Summer of the Garage

When Ken began building our house eleven years ago (He tells me that I agreed to live in a camper while he was working; I think he put something in my wine.), we did not own a digital camera to record every nail being driven and the regular pictures are hidden away in photo albums. Not so this Summer of the Garage. Ken took 3 weeks off in June to get as much done as possible and continues every weekend. Here again is how one man (who does not work in the construction field but possesses yankee thrift and strength along with strong sons and great friends) can build:


Foundation set and ready.



Walls!

Hey, how'd she get in there? (We let her.)

Gorgeous shot with roof trusses in place.

The area on the right is an efficiency apartment for Rees.
Waiting on the big door.


This, my friends, is how we live well on one salary from a non-profit agency (although, you know, I'd love more money!): No loans, save and build in an area with no zoning restrictions. Lower standards for food and clothing help, too. Ahem.


*The kids are totally fighting and I have to go, but Jennifer says to publish even without polishing, so here's the first installment in 7 posts in 7 days.

~Allison


No comments:

Post a Comment