Saturday, July 27, 2013

Sweet Saturday, Moms

I was just nursing Addie to sleep, cursing my agreement to blog 7 days in a row (I now realize that I don't think Big Thoughts every day, a necessary slice of humble pie.) when I gave up and grabbed one of my favorite gift books, a volume of mom-quotes illustrated by Mary Engelbreit (Her written introduction is a gem, as well.). Then a Decent-sized Thought came to me to share some of the quotes and artwork this overcast Saturday afternoon. Is it overcast where you are?  As long as Addie sleeps and Scooby-Doo keeps the younger set interested (Don't think too hard about that please.), I'll post pics and quips.

The walks and talks we have with our two-year-olds in red boots have a great deal to do with the values they will cherish as adults (Edith F. Hunter).


Most mothers are instinctive philosophers (Harriet Beecher Stowe).

Oh what a power is motherhood, possessing a potent spell (Euripides).

The source of human love is the mother (African proverb).

It is not until you become a mother that your judgment slowly turns to compassion and understanding (Erma Bombeck).


Like so many things one did for children, it was absurd but pleasing, and the pleasure came from the anticipation of their pleasure (Mary Gordon).

The precursor of the mirror is the mother's face (D.W.Winnicott).

 

My sister said once, "Anything I don't want Mother to know, I don't even think of, if she's in the room." (Agatha Christie).

Youth fades; love droops; the leaves of friendship fall. A mother's secret love outlives them all (Oliver Wendell Holmes).



 
Happy Saturday, friends!
Love, A
 
 
*Post #5

No comments:

Post a Comment